7.23.2009

New bit

Rode last night, again under the lights, despite the fact that in the barn she was SUPER worried about something. It started with a helicopter, something she's never been worried about (I trail rode her the morning the Blue Angels were practicing...), and sure enough the nervous, wet poops came along with a huge case of ADHD.


Anyway, I decided to try a different bit on her, half because I was meaning to (I had an oval mouth D on her and it was super easy for her to get strong in it), and half because she was spooky and strong feeling. I decided to try a Dr. Bristol Slow Twist Full Cheek.

Now, I don't know a lot about bits, I'll admit it. Everything about this bit screamed that it might be too strong for what I was trying to accomplish (a soft, responsive horse that has a little respect), but I put it in her mouth, pulled my gloves on, and off we went.

I really like the results I got. She wanted to be round like, the entire time (no idea if this had to do with the bit or me INSISTING that she be forward), I had great adjustability within her gait, and our steering was PHENOMENAL. Not that it isn't getting there on its own, but finishing out our circles has been a little tough.

So, I'm going to keep riding in it with a super light hand and see where I get.

1 comment:

Bunny Cherrithighs said...

makes me want to ride. still waiting on my pony