7.20.2009

Trailering Woes

Tried to take Elle down to Canonchet today for a field trip & a fun run through the field. Couldn't get her on the trailer. I tried for about 40 minutes, no way Jose. She got really shitty and careless at some points and for that got a big whack, other than that she was just really weird. She looked genuinely concerned about the trailer.

After sweating and swearing, we went up to the indoor for some lunging where she was PERFECT. So, I know it's not that she was just "in a mood" today, at least not completely. Went back, would not go on the trailer. She was willing, however, to go on the off side of the trailer, with significantly less frustration. I can't haul her on that side though, because it's all rusted and f'ed up.

Part of this whole thing is respect, absolutely. At what point do you say maybe she's not just being a bitch, though? Do they have intuition?

I'm going to work this week with the rope halter, really getting her to respond to moving when I say move. I have noticed her getting pretty rude about wanting to eat grass, etc etc, so that needs to be fixed and maybe it'll help. I'm also going to ask Mike if we can do some training with her when he comes to shoe her next. She's due.

Then there's the issue with the trailer - I need to find out what Karen's looking to get for hers. I'm completely of the school that Elle needs to go where I say to go, no questions asked, no matter what, but...let's just say it wouldn't be bad for me to have my own, nicer trailer.

No comments: