8.13.2009

Back On Track

So, leg update: Monday the leg was SWOLLEN. Blown up, heat, mushy. I almost panicked! Cold hosed 2x, ended the night with a liniment brace that I didn't wrap. Tuesday, the leg was almost 100%. She was sound, but it was still puffy in the fetlock area - edema follows gravity. More cold hosing.

Wednesday it got cold hosed a couple of times and I decided to ride at night. I didn't want to stress the leg and the outdoor was kind of hard, so we worked for about 45 minutes on 2 different things - 1, being very responsive to the leg and to the reins, meaning go & whoa. The leg got AWESOME. The reins still need work - she stops fine but I want to have that unquestionable HALT when I so much as make a W sound. She was also super easy to do circles with, not that I did a ton because I wanted to save that leg if it was still ouchy.

The other thing we worked on was trotting on a loose contact, and going into and maintaining a nice canter with loose contact. This isn't something we've worked on a lot because I've been trying to avoid bucking fits - I think that that's reasonable! However, it got really good, probably partially because we did all of the sensitivity work prior to me letting her be on the loose rein.

All in all, it was a really really good ride, especially with having 3 days off.

Did more cold hosing & Vetrolin, and she unfortunately got today off because I had a ton of stuff going on. She'll be ridden early tomorrow morning, though, and then every day in the foreseeable future. On the 23 of this month I'm going to take her into a hunter pleasure class at OSHC! Wish us luck...

No comments: